Friday, October 2, 2015

Happy Birth Day, Ellia!

On June 15, 2015, we welcomed our beautiful daughter, Ellia, into the family. After a week of false contractions that almost sent me running to the labor and delivery unit on a daily basis, she finally made her debut.

I woke up around 2:30 AM on June 15th to contractions that were becoming a little bit noticeable than the futile ones earlier in the week. I walked around a bit and started timing them...3-4 minutes apart. I thought it would be a good idea to at least wake Christian up, "just in case" it was the real deal. He quickly packed the car and around 3:30 AM, asked if I was ready to go. I think my reply was something like, "No, let's wait a little longer. It (the contractions) may just stop again." He peered over me as I kneeled at the foot of our bed and watched as I breathed through each contraction, which were now consistently every 3 minutes. "No, I think we need to go now." I reluctantly agreed. After a quick ride to the hospital, I checked in at labor and delivery around 4:00 AM. The nurse got me back to the room and hooked some monitors on and checked me...5 cm. Not bad, I thought, last time with Micah, I walked into the hospital at 3.5 cm and that was after 10 hours of labor! Maybe all those false contractions were actually helping to move things along. I asked the nurse to fill up the bathtub on the L&D unit because I remember spending many hours submerged in warm water when laboring with M and how much it had helped. She told me that it would take 30 minutes or so to get it filled and asked if I still wanted it. Of course, I thought, surely I would be in labor for several hours at least. I thought I had plenty of time. Apparently Ellia had another plan. By the time the tub was filled, I was 8.5 cm dilated and the contractions were right on top of each other and getting stronger by the minute. The nurse gave me a "I told you so" look and we both knew that there would be no time to even think about getting into the tub.

Just over 1 hour after arriving at the hospital and with only one strong push, I brought Miss Ellia Kei Robinson into the world. Our midwife barely made it there to catch her! Ellie may very well take on the traits of her grand entrance...intense, quick, and powerful.

She had ten fingers and ten toes, a full head of jet black curly hair, and gorgeous dark eyes. She was perfection. Our hearts grew exponentially to make room for you, little one.

Happy Birth Day, Kiddo.




















No comments:

Post a Comment