When friends or family call or come by the house, they will frequently comment, "You're a pediatrician, you are a pro at this already!". I want to slap the next person that says that to me. I want to tell them, "Do you see the mountain of parenting books and magazines that are on this table? Yes, I read them on a daily basis when I have no clue what I am doing." I have come to realize that the majority of what it takes to be a parent is not written in medical textbooks and not taught in pediatric residencies. Yes, I know what to do if my son runs a fever or stops breathing or has a seizure. What I don't know is what to do when he is crying non-stop for an hour, demanding to be breastfed for hours on end, and refusing to sleep during the day. Needless to say, it has been and will continue to be, a humbling experience. I think back to all the advice I give to my patients on parenting - advice that is passed down from my mentors through the years, advice on something that I have absolutely no experience with. It's like being an auto mechanic when you have never owned a car. Micah teaches me valuable lessons everyday. Lessons that I could never learn from reading books and listening to lectures. Now when my twelve weeks of maternity leave is over, I can put my doctor hat back on...on top of my new Mommy hat. That combination can only make me a more humble, compassionate, and empathetic pediatrician.
Micah has taught us many lessons during his short 4 weeks of life thus far:
- After the baby has fallen asleep, any attempt to move him to another more suitable location could spell disaster. Just leave him be.
- Don’t be a human pacifier unless you want to breastfeed non-stop for 5 hours. Buy one instead.
- Learn to nurse in the side-lying position. It is a luxury for middle of the night or early AM feeds.
- Always pack extra diapers - more than you think you will need.
- Always pack extra clothes.
- Always pack extra of everything
- Car rides are like magic when it comes to soothing a screaming baby.
- Don’t try to cut a baby’s nails when he is awake.
- Babies inevitably will pee (or poop) the second you take the dirty diaper off. Be prepared to seek cover.
- Invest in a baby carrier, it may be the only way to free your hands in order to eat a meal.
- Don’t dress the baby in white clothes when he has not pooped in 3 days. The big one is coming.
- Take advantage of every minute the baby is sleeping. This time is valuable and usually very limited, so use it wisely and efficiently.
- Savor all the happy moments - the smiles, coos, and even the silence. These are limited as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment